The Maths Department aims to ensure that during their Maths lessons each student will develop the skills to be able to:

  • Perform basic numeracy/mathematical skills
  • Gain the qualifications needed in his/her chosen career or for entry to Higher or Further Education
  • Understand the Maths likely to be encountered in daily adult life
  • Experience satisfaction and enjoyment in his/her mathematical achievements
  • Obtain his/her best possible results throughout their school career


Maths is important because it is the most widely used subject in the world.  Every career uses some types of Maths.  Doing Maths helps you to reason and organise complicated situations or problems into clear steps.  Therefore by doing Maths students will develop their logical thinking and problem solving skills that are needed in all jobs.


At Key Stage 3 (Years 8-10) we follow the Northern Ireland Curriculum.  Maths is a compulsory area of learning at Key Stage 3.  It gives pupils a wider understanding of how the world around them works and prepares them for making decisions, solving problems and processing everyday information.


At Key Stage 4 (Years 11-12) all students follow the CCEA GCSE Maths specification.  GCSE Maths is an exam based subject and students complete one module worth 45% of the overall GCSE in Year 11 and the other module worth 55% of the overall GCSE in Year 12.


Pupils who enjoy studying and success in Maths can choose GCSE Further Maths as an option in Year 11-12.  This is split into 3 exams, Unit 1 is Pure Maths which is worth 50% of the overall GCSE and completed in Year 11.  Unit 2 is Mechanics which is worth 25% of the overall GCSE and Unit 3 is Statistics which is worth 25% of the overall GCSE.  Both Unit 2 and Unit 3 are completed at the end of Year 12.


Pupils can also choose to complete GCSE Statistics in Year 12.  This is split into 2 exams which are both completed at the end of Year 12.  Students should have successfully completed GCSE Maths before considering completing Statistics GCSE.


At KS5 (Years 13-14) we follow the CCEA A-Level specification.  Students will complete 2 exams in Year 13 at AS Level and 2 exams in Year 14 at A2 Level.  These modules are Pure Maths and Applied Maths.  Students choosing to study A-Level Maths will investigate algebra and functions, geometry, trigonometry, exponentials and logarithms, differentiation and vectors.  They also examine quantities and units in mechanics, kinematics, forces and Newton’s laws, statistical sampling, data presentation and interpretation, probability and statistical distributions.

For more information on the subject or any general equiries please click the button to contact the Head of Department, Mrs Sharpe.