Maths department staff

Mrs E Sharpe (Head of Department)

Mrs M Naughton (Senior Teacher)

Mr D McNabb (Senior Teacher)

Mr A Carleton

Mrs G McDermott


The Maths Department aims to ensure that during their Maths lessons each student will develop the skills to be able to:

  • Perform basic numeracy/mathematical skills
  • Gain the qualifications needed in his/her chosen career or for entry to Higher or Further Education
  • Understand the Maths likely to be encountered in daily adult life
  • Experience satisfaction and enjoyment in his/her mathematical achievements
  • Obtain his/her best possible results throughout their school career


Departmental Overview

Key Stage 3

All students follow the same curriculum within each year group with lessons appropriately differentiated.  In Year 8 we build upon and strengthen the concepts introduced at KS2.  In Years 9 and 10 our pupils will be introduced to concepts and topics needed at GCSE level.



Pupil experiences:

“I love Maths, it is fun.  My teacher helps us learn and I know that I need Maths for lots of jobs when I leave school.”

“Maths is fun and enjoyable.”

“I love Maths because I find it an enjoyable subject.  I think that the teachers make it fun.”





Students in Years 11 and 12 will follow the CCEA Maths specification for GCSE.  They will complete one module worth 45% at the end of Year 11 and the other worth 55% in Year 12.

GCSE Further Maths is available as an option choice for those pupils studying Higher Tier Maths who are considering studying A Level Maths in Sixth Year.


Pupil experiences:

“Maths is my favourite and strongest subject.  I find it easy because my teacher explains everything really well.”

“Maths is really enjoyable.  My teacher is amazing and explains Maths so well.  Even though Maths can be difficult, I know that my teacher will help me to do the best of my ability.”

“I love Maths because it is challenging, enjoyable and interesting.  I always try my best!”

“I like Maths because I find the subject enjoyable and the teachers are lovely.”

“I like Maths because there are lots of different topics.  I find it challenging but fun and I like my teacher.”


A Level

Students who have performed particularly well at GCSE Level and choose to study Maths at A Level will follow the CCEA specification.  A Grade A in GCSE Maths is essential and GCSE Further Maths is desirable.  Students will study two Pure Maths modules along with one Statistics module in Year 13.  Two Pure Maths modules and one Mechanics module will be studied in Year 14.


Pupil experiences:

“I enjoy Maths as I like problem solving and confronting challenging questions.  I achieved an A* in my Maths GCSE which shows my enthusiasm for the subject.  All of the Maths teachers I’ve had so far have been very helpful.”

“I chose to study Maths at A Level because while I was doing my GCSE Maths I was able to enjoy the topics that the subject had to offer me.  I enjoy doing Maths.”

“I chose to study Maths because I enjoyed all of the topics from Years 11 and 12 (loved surds the most though J).  I have good relationships with all of the teachers and I am really enjoying A Level Maths so far.”

“Maths is a fun subject.  It offers great topics such as quadratics, cumulative frequencies and simultaneous equations.  The Maths teachers are helpful and good at making the topics fun.  Maths is my favourite subject.”

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How often will I get Maths homework?

Maths homework will be set regularly.  All students should complete all homework given by teachers to the best of their ability.

  • What materials will I need to bring to my Maths class?


You should always be equipped with your classwork book, a pen, a pencil, a ruler and a scientific calculator (Year 10 onwards).


  • How can I be successful at Maths?

Always work to the best of your ability and always ask your teacher if you need any help.

  • What careers prospects are there with Maths?

Maths is important because it is the most widely used subject in the world.  Every career uses some types of Maths.  Doing Maths helps you to reason and organise complicated situations or problems into clear steps.  Therefore by doing Maths students will develop their logical thinking and problem solving skills that are needed in all jobs.

There are many career possibilities for students with Maths A-Level.  Here are examples of a few:

  • Finance
  • Accountant
  • Programmer
  • Software developer
  • Teacher
  • Marketing
  • Management
  • Human resources


Useful Maths websites